- Membership in WSSRA is a good decision for both active school employees who have not yet retired and those who have already entered into retirement.
- The Association provides vigorous legislative advocacy at both the state and national level. There is a large, statewide Legislative Committee which works to maintain contact with the legislative process. We have a full time Legislative Coordinator and two professional lobbyists who work year around to support this work. They work hard to improve benefits and pensions and to protect them as well.
- Members of WSSRA are part of a local and regional structure which offers interesting and enjoyable contact with other educational colleagues.
- The Association provides 25 scholarships annually to high school seniors who are interested in the field of education. Our members are involved in the awarding of these scholarships each year.
- The official WSSRA publication, The Journal, comes to members in five editions each year and provides news about member activities, articles on legislative work, features on health, economic information to aid in planning, travel articles, reports of unit activities across the state and much more (it is mailed and also available on line.)
- Local units offer mini-grants to educators in their local schools which gives opportunity for our retired members to visit schools and make a tangible contribution to people still actively employed.
- There are local and regional meetings as well as an annual state convention.
- Retirement counseling is offered for both active employees and for those already retired who have questions.
- And there are valuable, member only benefits through Association Member Benefits Advisors (AMBA)—these include…
- travel insurance
- vision plans
- dental plans
- long term care insurance
- guidance on Medicare
- savings on travel and tours
- discounts on technology such as Apple products
(please visit the AMBA link below for more information about our AMBA benefits)